Clegg Impact Tester / Clegg Decelerometer
Click here to see all our products relating to artificial turf surface
The Clegg Impact Tester is a professional instrument to determine hardness on all types of areas - Readings in CIT's or Gravities (Gmax).
The principle behind the Clegg Impact Soil Tester, also called the Clegg Hammer and Clegg Decelerometer is used to obtain a measurement of the deceleration of a free falling mass (Hammer) from a set height onto a surface under test to determine hardness. The impact of the hammer produces an electrical pulse, which is converted and displayed on the Control Unit in units of gravities "G-max" or tens of gravities "CIT". Reference ASTM test methods D5874 and F1702.
The standard test protocol developed by Dr. Clegg is to drop the hammer four consecutive times on the same location with the highest value result in the series taken as the Peak Clegg Impact Test result. Since that time, other test protocols have been used based on the materials under test and the application. These other protocols like the ones used for testing artificial turf test the area with a single drop. The Clegg offers the convenience of rapidly scanning compaction variation over large areas. In research studies, 250 tests were performed with the Clegg in a half-day.
The NEW PNCLEGG-S-2.25-A- Clegg Impact Tester 2.25 kg model reads out from 0 to 150 Gravities or 0 to 15 CIT's and has a better accuracy range (+/- 1% or 1.5 G Accuracy) as compared to the 0-1000 Gravity unit (+/- 1% or 10 G Accuracy) for testing soft surfaces like natural and artificial athletic fields, infill products and sports fields. This model is the same model that is used to test all NFL National Football League Stadium Fields before games. Instruction manual comes with conversion formula to convert readings to F355 readings. Note the 150 g maximum reading on this unit is equal to approximately 219 gravities in ASTM F355 range after using the conversion formula.
Available in following models
- 0.5 kg - Used for soft turf, sand areas and golf greens (0 to 1000 Gravities)
- 2.25 kg - Used for surfaces consisting of natural or synthetic turf (football, baseball, soccer fields, playgrounds, pitches, horse tracks, and golf greens). (0 to 1000 Gravities) (+/- 1% or 10 G Accuracy)
- 2.25 kg-A - New Used for surfaces consisting of natural or synthetic turf (football, baseball, soccer fields, playgrounds, pitches, horse tracks, and golf greens). (0 to 150 Gravities) New (+/- 1% or 1.5 G Accuracy)
- 4.5 kg - Used for surfaces such as preconstructed soils, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations
- 10 kg - Used for flexible pavement, aggregate road beds, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations.
- 20 kg - Used for surfaces such as flexible pavement, aggregate road beds, trench reinstatement, bell holes, and foundations.
Simple and quick test procedure
- The test procedure is very rapid and can easily be performed by site personnel with minimal training. Each test can be completed in less than 30 sec. The results are immediate.
- Select a level surface (If needed, lightly scuffing surface with a foot to level the strike area)
- The guide tube is set into position, secure by placing a foot on the tube's base flange and steadied with the lower leg and knee)
- The ON/RESET button on the control box is pressed and release to activate the circuitry. The hammer is raised to the drop height indicator mark
- The level is centered.
- The hammer is released allowing it to fall freely and cleanly Without moving the guide tube or pressing the ON/RESET button, the Hammer is raised to the mark and release
- The gravities value (Gmax) or CIT value is displayed after the fourth blow is recorded and the display automatically powers down 30 sec. after activation
- Move to the next test site.
Clegg shown with Turf-Tec optional hard case
|The Clegg Impact Tester is a professional instrument to determine hardness on all types of areas from Baseball, Football, Soccer, Natural Grass, Artificial Turf, Infill, Horse Racing, Turf Racing and all types of sports where ever surface harness is important from turf care needs to playability.
- Clegg (either 0.5kg - OR - 2.25 kg) hammer with hardened strike face
- Guide tube is metal and will provide years of reliable, accurate service
- Control box features a digital display and is powered by two rechargeable AA Batteries (Included)
- During operation, the control box may be hand held or mounted to the guide tube
Also see our infill depth gauges for accurate and consistent depths of infill materials
Turf-Tec Professional Model Infill Depth Gauge Turf-Tec Professional Model Infill Depth Gauge (Economy model) for synthetic turf
|Unit Comes with the following:
- Guide Tube
- Digital Read Out Control Box
- Boot and strap for control box
- BNC Coax Cable
- Polyurethane check ring or foam test pad (2.25 kg-A unit)
- Locking Pin to attach hammer to guide tube
- Two rechargeable AA Batteries and charger
- USB Cable
- Instruction Manual
- Canvas Storage Bag
The Clegg may be transported and operated by one person, allowing for low cost, rapid field and laboratory testing and direct readout of the test results. The Clegg can test a full range of soil and stone as encountered in the construction of flexible pavement and earthworks. It is useful for quickly checking variations during construction and monitoring changes over time due to seasonal environmental changes or road traffic as well as testing natural and "as constructed" conditions. The Clegg can test a full range of natural and artificial athletic surfaces, pads, infill materials, amendments where hardness or impact characteristics need to be controlled for safety or playability.
Link to page on rechargeable battery charging issues
Suggested Reading from Penn State University's Center for Sports Turf Research
"Surface Hardness (Gmax)" By: Andrew S. McNitt, Thomas Serensits and Dianne M. Petrukak http://cropsoil.psu.edu/ssrc/research/infill/surface-hardness-gmax Also: http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/ssrc/sportsturf-scoop
PNCLEGG-S-0.5 - Clegg Impact Tester 0.5 kg model PNCLEGG-S-2.25
Clegg Impact Tester 2.25 kg model (0 to 1000 Gravities) (+/- 1% or 10 G Accuracy)
New PNCLEGG-S-2.25-A- Clegg Impact Tester 2.25 kg model (0 to 150 Gravities) For testing Athletic Fields (+/- 1% or 1.5 G Accuracy)
Case-Clegg-Tshear - Optional Hard Case for Clegg
Turf-Tec International Terms of Sale and Warranty
LIMITED WARRANTY OF TURF-TEC INTERNATIONAL PRODUCTS
Turfgrass Products Corporation - dba - Turf-Tec International ("Seller") warrants to the final purchaser, that all Turf-Tec International tools will be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from date of purchase. SELLER'S SOLE OBLIGATION AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY under this Limited Warranty and, to the extent permitted by law, any warranty or condition implied by law, shall be the repair or replacement of parts, without charge, which are defective in material or workmanship and which have not been misused, carelessly handled, or improperly repaired by persons other than Turf-Tec International. To make a claim under this Limited Warranty, you must return the complete tool, transportation prepaid, to Turf-Tec International after contacting Turf-Tec International and receiving a return authorization number. Please include a dated proof of purchase with your tool.
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES SHALL BE LIMITED IN DURATION TO ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF PURCHASE. IN NO EVENT SHALL SELLER BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LIABILITY FOR LOSS OF PROFITS) ARISING FROM THE SALE OR USE OF THIS PRODUCT. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE IN THE U.S., PROVINCE TO PROVINCE IN CANADA AND FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY.
Turf-Tec International has been in business since 1976 and we pride ourselves in producing quality tools that last for years and years. We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our products and will gladly accept any return for a credit to be used at Turf-Tec International for future orders or a check refund may be issued. There is a 30% re-stocking fee for all returned merchandise whether an in house credit or a refund is requested and shipping charges will not be refunded. All returned merchandise must be new and in re-salable condition. Turf-Tec will only receive returns if a return authorization number is first obtained from Turf-Tec International. Again, all returned merchandise must be new and in re-salable condition and Turf-Tec does not pay return shipping fee's.